9:00 am to 4:30 pm for three (3) consecutive days. JAN 25th – 27th
INSTRUCTOR: Chef Felice Colucci
This 3-day intensive hands-on class is designed to guide aspiring pizzaioli to cultivate the absolute best pizza-making practices. This course focuses on both the theoretical techniques and practical hands-on methods necessary to create the ideal dough, a sublime sauce, an airy crust, and to identify the best ingredients to produce the best results.
This course is ideal for those who would like to concentrate on pizza-making in a professional setting. It offers solutions for many work-place issues such as the dough’s consistency and handling large volumes of pizza.
You will receive:
- Pizza University Certificate
- Chef’s Jacket
- Swag Bag
The class will consist of both theory and hands-on guide practice.
The theoretical portion of the class aims to provide students with essential knowledge of:
- The history of pizza and its ingredients
- Pizza in the USA
- Fundamentals and practice of creating artisanal pizza
- Characteristics of the ingredients
- Dough chemistry
- Working with baker’s percentage
This part is dedicated to hands-on experience. You will learn:
- Mixing the dough, understanding the perfect timing to add each ingredient
- Cutting and shaping the dough, forming dough balls
- Leavening of the dough
- Stretching the dough using the proper technique.
- Preparing the ingredients (learn how mozzarella should be cut and how to make tomato sauce)
- Organizing the workbench
- Bringing the oven to the proper temperature and maintaining it during baking, resulting in a consistent final product
- Cooking and managing the pizza in the oven
- Managing multiple pizzas in the oven simultaneously
Like many Italian children, Chef Felice grew up “playing with flour” while his mother made pasta and bread in his home region of Puglia. However, it wasn’t until he was much older that he knew baking was the right career choice for him. After getting certified as a Pizza Master in Italy, he decided to move to the United States, Miami, where he also worked with Jim Lahey at Sullivan Street bakery. His passion and dedication have brought him to Marra Forni, where he currently is the Culinary Director, and Pizza University, where Chef Felice gets to share his knowledge of pizza from A-Z.